Tuesday 18 June 2013

The little crooked house.


Life's been a bit hectic lately (do I KEEP saying that?!) Finding time to play in my journal has been hard, and I miss it. So, I managed to squeeze a little playtime in earlier today, in between a visit from the bathroom planners, and seeing to my kids' various needs :-) The page isn't quite finished yet - I'm waiting for a quiet moment to journal on it.

So, yes, we are in the process of having our bathroom done ... it's going to be a major renovation job and I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end but I find it hard to get excited in the bathroom showrooms....  Seen one toilet seen 'em all ..... And it's soooo time consuming .....

I'm stuck on these grungy, painty, messy backgrounds lately, and I LOVE making them. I like to get my hands in the paint and feel it, and I'm loving doodling on everything and everywhere after being totally inspired by Dawn Sokol. I'm stuck with this colour combo of pink, green and turquoise too, but I always get stuck in a colour combo ... it will pass LOL!


I made these cute little houses to add to my journal pages. I am drawn to houses .... I think it may be because I am a home-loving cancerian :-)


If you are a member of the very fabulous 21 Secrets, then you may have joined me for a live chat last night. If you did, thank you so much, it was amaaaaazing! I couldn't type fast enough LOL! I scrolled back through afterwards and realised I had missed a few comments / questions, so if I missed yours please do pester me here. When I first agreed to teach as a part of 21 Secrets I didn't really know too much about it, but I can honestly say it has been the best experience. It has been really wonderful to connect with so many art journalers and see and share so much fabulous art. (Still 6 months to go if you're thinking about it!)

And finally, this weekend I am going to teach at a mini retreat at de Craftorij in the Netherlands WOOHOO! I'm so excited. I was there a few months ago and had an amazing time with the very enthusiastic Dutch girls. Hope to see some of you there for some very messy, painterly, colourful fun ;-)




24 comments:

  1. I will be there...and very happy aout that Kate !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate.
    Just seen you are doing a workshop at Dy's on Saturday 6th July. I am coming over but will have to leave before your time at 3. But I am hoping to book on earlier with Dy, but hopefully I will see you.
    I am running a workshop myself at the end of July for 12 7-12 year olds and hopefully I can pick your brains at how to do the canvas's.
    I do have your dvd and will pop that on to get refreshed at how you work, but it would be nice to talk to you if you have a moment!
    Your houses are gorgeous, and your backgrounds. I have a love of houses too and recently bought the house set by Sam Poole which is nice.
    Debbiex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, It would be great to see you at AFTH. I should be there in the afternoon before my class so I'll be around. You can pick my brains at any time :-)) Good luck with your class! x

      Delete
  3. Wow this is just gorgeous!!! Love it!!! Hugs Juls xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an inspiring and fun journal page! I'm still enjoying your being stuck with that color combo. It's an awesome combination! Your little houses are so cute and with the black they have great impact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you do a post about how you create your backgrounds please Kate and what type of paint, inks you use. That would be great.

    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill, it's on my 'to do' list! Been a bit busy but will do it when I get chance :-) But just so you know, the paints I used here are Talens Amsterdam and Liquitex basics.

      Delete
  6. Love your color combo and your houses so I don't mind if you are stuck:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, such vibrant colours, so many layers xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOOWooo I see you this weekend in Ede. I can't wait !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those little houses!! What a great idea to make some up ahead to use whenever you need one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the houses and the color combo, it works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I to am enjoying your current colour combo. Your journal page is looking fabulous . . . so many layers, and your little houses look very welcoming and happy homes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous page & the houses are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crooked Little Houses for you and me...Altered lyrics of the song "Little Pink Houses" by John Melloncamp...cheesy I know but that's where I am today. Loved the post and your pages. Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving your recent work Kate, the colourways are so vibrant !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank SId :-) Hey! Where've ya been?! Your blog's been a bit quiet lately ..... Miss you!

      Delete
  15. Im loving these backgrounds Kate and discovering that I do love to get my fingers into the paint - cant understand why some folks dont like it. Loving that colour combo too and the wee houses are fab. Im becoming addicted to drawing wee houses after watching your dvds.

    Have finally given in and ordered the Art Doodle Love book so am looking forward to it arriving and having a wee go

    Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this page, and I like the use of black with the bright colours.
    I SO wished we had art retreats in this country (like CREATE in the USA etc).....a few days away, all self contained to get sewing, inky, arty and eat some cake too!!!

    Good luck with the bathroom planning and I hope its not too much an upheaval

    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol Kate, I know ExAcTLY what you're going through with the bathroom. In the end I just went that one, that one and that one!! I was fussy about my taps, the shower head and the tiles, and I didn't want a stand alone bath - how on earth you clean around the back of those!! I'm pleased with how it all looks now though, it is worth the effort.
    Great page, I've not journaled, or even been in blogland, for ages!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!