Sunday 13 September 2020

**NEW** Art Printing Coasters

Mandala Medley - Art Printing Coasters for Carabelle Studio

Face from Build-a-Baboushka - Carabelle Studio

Flower from Crayoned Elements - Carabelle Studio 

It's new products time! Yay! I LOVE it when the new products I designed (usually some months before) finally arrive on my doorstep - it's always amazing to see how your little pen drawings magically turn into rubber. 




These are a new concept by Carabelle Studio - Art Printing plates the shape and size of a coaster, which will be available in a set of 6. As soon as this idea was put to me I just thought 'mandala' because, you know, circles .....! And I love circles - they are so easy to use. Nothing fights with a circle. Great for layering.

I decided to try this virgin rubber out with some alcohol ink, because you can get a very clear print which shows all the detail of the design. A while ago I made a video for Gel Press which explains this technique in detail so if you need a bit more explanation of the technique have a look *here*

I used an old mop up gel print to mount my coaster shapes on to create some cards ... but I'm also thinking journal pages so watch this space....

Step 1
Brayer a thin layer of alcohol ink on a gel plate, and press the coaster firmly onto it while wet to remove the pattern of the design. Allow to dry. Here you can see the design left behind on my gel plate. 
(BTW, you can use any size gel plate for this).


Step 2
Brayer a very thin layer of neutral acrylic paint over the top of the alcohol ink design, and press a sheet of the card down firmly while the paint is still wet, to lift the design.


This should remove the paint AND the alcohol ink revealing the design:


 
Step 3
Cut around the edge of the circle design and edge with a little Distress Ink to neaten things up. Layer over a square of patterned card (I used an off-cut of an older gel print), and place on a card blank.



Step 4
Add a little more detail to the circular print. A white Posca paint pen is excellent for touching up bits of the design which may have been missed. Stickles and Liquid Pearls also highlight areas of the design:


Step 5
Stitching is always optional but I love it! And stitching around and around in a circle really highlights the original shape of the print.



And here's a few more progress photos ...







If you stitch directly onto the card blank, don't forget to add a paper insert to tidy up the inside :-) 


There are lots of fab new designs at Carabelle Studio, and more to be released in the next few days :-) 

Currently available from the Carabelle website but soon to be arriving at retailers I have tried to add a list of retailers on the Carabelle tab at the top of my blog so please do check there.




 

6 comments:

  1. Love this! The results with alcohol ink keep amazing me, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always...they are lovely Kate...At first i wondered: do i need those lovely face-stamps...haha now i know beter and started ordering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these - coasters and so much more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!