Tuesday 27 June 2017

A little book of tags.


DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics: Quiancridone Magenta, Gold Green, Carbon Black, Gold, Medium Grey, Cobalt Turquoise
Decoart Media Mediums: Modelling paste, Gesso, Tinting Base, Multi Medium

Tando Creative:  Tags, mini people, mini houses, washers

Stencils and stamps by Andy Skinner

Ahhh, tags! How do I love thee?!

Seriously I LOVE tags of all sizes and substrates. I'm not fussy - if it's tag shaped I love it. These gorgeous chunky little grey board tags and shapes are from Tando Creative, and are lovely and sturdy for painting and adding mixed media.



Here's a few step photos so you can see how I put it together. I'm using one of my favourite DecoArt colour combos. These paints are so, so heavily pigmented you can get outstanding colour, and colour makes me happy :-) 

I began by painting in patches, using the tinting base along with colour:


I used the Toxic stamp set and  the Bubbles stencil by Andy Skinner, to add pattern to the background:


And then some more, bold stamping using the Unexplained stamp set. I also used one of my favourite stencils by Kasia Avery - Corncob Etching, to add a touch of black:


I just adore the DecoArt Metallic gold. It has amazing coverage and really adds a touch of bling. I did some junk stamping, but also painted all the edges with gold, as well as adding a few splats with a fine brush. These paints splat particularly well because they are so fluid, and also because they are so pigmented:



I used Modelling paste on the washers with my fingers to give a rough texture and then painted them gold, before adding a few more cute little additions:



Weathered Wood medium over a base of Quinacridone Magenta, then a top of layer of Cobalt Turquoise gives this fabulous crackle effect:


And just a coup,e of close-ups of the texture and pattern I created. This little mini person has wings, which are really petals I took from a foliage set!




Byeeeee for now!


18 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at the wonderful colour palette you use. Love these xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a talented lady, love your work. This is brilliant. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous little tags. I love your techniques and am just about managing to master them after the last wanderlust class. I will have to give these tags a go. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tags! Fabulous bright colours & that is something that always makes me happy 😊

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these, Kate. I love mini anything. And the Decoart colours are so vibrant. What size are the tags? (Just largest & smallest) 😊 Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smallest tag is 3.5x7cm, and the largest is 5.5x10.5cm!

      Delete
  6. Hi sweetie, your art is so full of interest and awesome colors!!! Do you sell them on Etsy??? Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do sell them on Etsy but I haven't had time to list anything for a while!

      Delete
  7. A truly beautiful set of tags, wonderful colours and textures! I love the wings on the mini person and the gold edging is such a lovely finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just purchased and watched all your DVDs and these tags give me another great example of how to achieve that great Kate Crane look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome artwork, love these xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up the great piece of work, I read few posts on this site and I think that your blog
    is really interesting and has got circles of great info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I fancy trying this tomorrow, thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great project! I love your style! Colorful and dynamic, absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous as always - love your tags xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for freely sharing how to achieve the look on these finished tags Kate! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!