Thursday 3 November 2011

November ready!

Inks, paints and stamps by Dylusions at Art from the Heart

Well, who would have thought it? I actually have my November pages ready and it's only 3rd November LOL! This month is a homage to all things Dylusional (which is just as well as there is a very exciting announcement over on Dyan's blog today but more about that in a moment ....) I had my camera at the ready when I created my pages for this month so here is a little step-by-step.

First of all I painted by background using Teal and White, using a large flat paintbrush, leaving broad brushstrokes. I left quite a lot of white areas:


Over the lighter areas I added some Mustard paint by scraping with a credit card:


Then I reached for the Basic Backgrounds stamps. I LOOOOOVE these stamps, they are soooo useful. I used the same shades of paint and randomly stamped the letters, numbers and lego dots all over the pages. It's ok to use paint on your stamps as long as you clean it off straight away, it's what baby wipes were invented for! The eagle-eyed amongst you may notice that I stamped some of my letters upside down ha! But, do you think I mind? No! I like them upside down :-)


Here's a closer look:


Then I added some spray inks and allowed them to dribble down the page, and also tipped the journal so that some dribbles went sideways. I used Sunshine ink spray, and then a mix of Teal with water, and added a little mica powder.


At this point I felt it still needed a little more so I added some scrapes of Lime paint with a credit card and a few touches and splats of black:


Here's another close-up:


I love the vine stamps from the Further Round the Edge set, so I stamped them around some of the edges of the journal and then painted the leaves in with Teal ink spray (just spray a little on your craft mat, add a touch of water and then pick up with a paintbrush):


At this point I like to see how it's going to look when I add the daily squares, so I rummaged through my paper collection and picked out some nice bright colours which I trimmed into squares of 1 1/2":


And finally I added a stamped image, using the body from Pondering Petunia and a head from  the Dependable Dotty set. Of course she needed a bird on her head so I reached for the Birds on a Wire set, and then added a few extra birds around the page:


Phew! All ready to be filled in. Don't forget, if you want to link your calendar page so we can all take a lookie you can find the link here.

Now, back to that exciting announcement over at Art from the Heart ..... Dyan has had us all on tenterhooks for a while, hinting at a big announcement, well now the cat is out of the bag! Dyan will now be a Signature Designer at Ranger no less! WOOOOP WOOOOP!  Well done Dyan! Have a look at Dyan's blog here for her announcement, and a look here for the official Ranger announcement. I love everything that Dyan does, and I also love everything Ranger so as far as I am concerned this is a match made in heaven :-)

Byeee for now ......

40 comments:

  1. I liked seeing the step by step process you took to make this page. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous page Kate! Thanks for the tutorial x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous... I'm going to get my bum into gear and get ready for January!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your background is amazing, so many layers. Love the image of the girl as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pages and colours! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. tHANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TUTORIAL AAND I'VE BOUGHT YOUR DVD, IT'S FANTASTIC!!!!!
    very well down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lurvely November pages Kate. nice and cheerful for a dark month. I'm madly trying to photo mine in this crappy light!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so fantastic! Thanks so much for showing the process!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning page love the colours the teal especially. Thanks for sharing the step by step. I hope you have a better and good month.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful November Pages! I was drooling over all the gorgeous products you used! I am working on a 'Mood Chart' which is basically a calendar with smaller space for the days. I will post it probably this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Hugs and blessings
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab Calender pages, gorgeous colours !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tutorial, it's a great help to people like me who are new to journalling. Your page is fabulous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous spread, love the girly on the left!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great calendar pages. All the layers of paint, inks stamps all come together so well and the addition of Dyans stamps just top it off! She certainly deserves her position with Ranger. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stepping us thru it - LOVE that gorgeous turquoise colour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely bright page, so cheerful. Thank you for the tutorial. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great page, love the basic blue/white even before you started decorating it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous color combo. Love your pages. So glad to find you from Dyan's tweet. Have just become your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What lovely colors. I've been on a road trip and am still in Oct. somewhere. Time is flying by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Kate, I LOVED your article in the recent issue of Somerset Studio. It inspired me so much that I started MY calendar journal, even though it's November. I'm joining your challenge and look forward to sharing my efforts. Thanks so much for the brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning background, thanks for showing us how you did it.
    I have 1 quenstion.. what kind of journal do you use? Did you make it yourself? And what is the size?? (thats 2 questions)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A gorgeous page Kate and a very fitting tribute to Dy...those background stamps of hers rank No 1 in my favourite stamps list :D x

    ReplyDelete
  23. your artwork is so original and unique! all my respect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the page Kate, your pages are always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kate, you're a girl after my own heart! I couldn't work without those baby wipes, and I love going on vacation so that I can collect more of those plastic swipe cards to use as art supplies! Love your spread. Hope that you're feeling "in the pink"! Sending lots of ♥ and good vibes your way! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fab pages as always Kate, gorgeous colours. Luv October's too :-)
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kate love your backgrounds so much work and so effective. Great stuff! Just managed to catch up!
    Happy crafting Erika.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful challenge!! Maybe I'll do the 2012 one!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  29. excellent tutorial Kate. Love the tip about using the spray ink as a colouring medium. x

    ReplyDelete
  30. love everything about this page. Thanks for sharing the step by step process

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is awesome, Kate!! I can't wait to do my calendar pages :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Kate
    Very inspirational, love what you did, thanks for your excellent tutorial.
    I want to add Art Journal to my creations.
    -Sony
    Sonia-Studio60

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much for sharing your calendar tutorial! I'm diving in to make one myself :-)
    Will you please tell me what you've found works best for gluing down the journaling squares?
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very inspirational and something I may want to do in future! Thanks for sharing Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your calendar page is luscious, thanks for sharing the step by step process!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just found your tutorial and the size of your squares. How large is your overall calendar?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very nice, Kate. Getting inspired.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!