Tuesday 24 March 2009

Techniques overload!

I had a small, tiny window of free time at home this afternoon and decided that cleaning the house was completely unnecessary as was doing any washing or ironing. What I really need to do was...............how shall I put it?......................mess about in the craft room. I have had so little time to create recently that when I finally got some time I couldn't decide what I wanted to do the most and that is why you see an ATC with so many layers!
First of all I painted a layer with Ranger acrylic dabbers (ha! You thought I was going to say Claudine Hellmuth acrylics didn't you?!) I added some scraps of old text as I went along building up the layers. Then I stamped round the edge with paint using one of Tim Holtz's new stamps; you can't really see this now, it's kind of blended in. I added the butterfly stamp (another of of Tim Holtz's) by stamping it onto tissue first. Ha! I've ruined too many good backgrounds by stamping stright on, I've learned the hard way. Many a good ATC background has ended up in the bin. To add a bit more colour I used some oil pastels to highlight certain areas and then added some words from an old book 'fly away home'.

I inked the edges and then stitched round and round in a circle. Finally I added a layer of beeswax because I just bought a Clover Mini Iron (because I am a girl who loves gadgets) and I wanted to see if I could add beeswax over the stitching.
It's not one of my best ATCs but I had fun and it's great to see how many techniques you can cram into 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" !
Bye for now




4 comments:

  1. I'm happy you had a chance to do a little creating. All those techniques made for a lovely card! You always pick the best colors to use. You'll love your little clover iron. I bought mine because of Shelly saying it was the best to use when working with wax. I love gadgets, too, so you don't have to tell me twice to buy something LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate your ATCs are always gorgeous and I love the colours you've used this time. I'll have to look into a clover iron, I might use beeswax more if it was a little easier to manoeuvre. I pre-ordered a lot of Tim Holtz' new stamps about 3 months ago ... but alas we live on the other side of the world and it must come by SHIP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did think you were going to say "Claudine Hellmuth" acrylics. Surprise me !!
    Your multi-layer technique is awesome. I knew there were a couple additional things going on when I saw it on Flickr, but couldn't quite figure it out. Stamping on tissue is a life saver, you are right. Great details with this one and love the color (and stitching, of course).
    :-)
    Shelly

    P.S. Welcome to the world of the Clover Mini-Iron devotees. We make Claudine proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous :) Beautiful colours. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!