Thursday 23 June 2016

Mmmm Distress Crayons!




Do you know, I didn't know I needed Distress Crayons until someone (GEMMA!)  lent me theirs at a workshop I was teaching, and they then immediately fell into my shopping basket ;-) I am really liking these as an art journal, mixed media tool. I have deliberately avoided all tutorials and videos showcasing this product because the minute I see how someone else uses a product I can't think of any other way. Best to just play on your own first, and then watch videos (but I still haven't done that last bit bit!)

This is how the page began. I gessoed a page in my black square Dylusions journal leaving a bit of black showing around the edge. I added a very small amount of acrylic paint with my fingers just to get my started, and then began layering the Distress crayons over the top. I like to scribble a bit with them and then blend them with my fingers. You can splat water on them too to make a pattern. But here's the bit I really like ... you can just draw patterns and symbols with them. LOVE! I felt like a kid with a new packet of Crayolas.


Because these are a Distress product, once they are dry you can write over them, and layer up with other products, unlike oil pastels for instance. I also found out, and this is important, that once they are dry they no longer smudge or move on the page. Result!

I added a bit more to my page, including some stamping, some old text, some washi tape ... and more Distress crayon of course.


And then I decided to add a figure. In my head she was going to be quite different to how she turned out, but hey ho, that's art journaling for you! She's not ideally placed on the page - she would have looked a bit better to the left, but I didn't want to cover up the red flower/circle thing so I had to work round it. Yay for no rules!


She had various different things in her hands before I finally settled on a flock of birds. She has a little acrylic paint on her face as a base flesh tone, but other than that she's all done in crayon.


I'm loving the layers you can build up using these crayons:


And here is bird lady on my desk easel. Now, I don't want to upset all of you neat freaks who like to keep things in order in their original packets (you know who you are!) you can see all three of my crayon packets tipped out into one haphazard collection. Ahhh, that's better!


Byee for now!





21 comments:

  1. Love your page! Did you draw your lady in pencil first? There are some really fine lines. Will have to play with the crayons again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I made the background first, then pencilled the lady on top. I used a bit of gesso to white out around her, so the body is actually the original background (if that makes sense!)

      Delete
  2. GORGEOUSNESS!!!! I have a black Dylusions journal and I'm completely stumped in how to use it to is full potential. I was thrilled to see you using it but need to understand why use a black journal and cover it with white gesso. Guidance is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOoh I am LOVING my black journal at the moment. I really like the contrast of the black cover which opens to a riot of colour! OK, when I use gesso I rarely gesso the whole page as I like to leave a lot of black showing around the edge. You can see that on this page. Sometimes if I am painting I don't use gesso at all so the black shows through a bit underneath which makes it darker and a bit more grungy looking. If you scroll through my recent posts most of them are in this journal if that helps x

      Delete
  3. I am loving your page and also loving Distress Crayons (and their cheaper cousins Slick Stix too)

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your page looks fabulous!! I don't want to try these crayons, because I might like them a lot. I've already got so many crayons :P

    Xx Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you NEEEEED these ones too, you know you do ;-) !!

      Delete
  5. Just starting to experiment with my set of Distress Crayons.....good job there's no mistakes in art! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just started to experiment with Distress Crayons...mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and that figure should SO become a stamp ;) You have inspired me to have a go with my distress crayons as so far I haven't had much luck with them!!! Denyse x

    ReplyDelete
  8. nooooo!! I have been trying SO hard to resist these as I have a ton of supplies already...but oh you're making it almost impossible to resist:):) Brilliant journal page!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great Kate and thanks for the heads up on their properties !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kate she is fabulous....My Black Journal has just arrived :) Oh and yes we NEED her as a stamp...XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know who you could possibly mean...?
    I love this page Kate, the colours are beautiful xx and it was fun spending your money for you mwah...! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the step by step just ordered my 3 sets so now cant wait Have never used the black journal I have in the past painted a surface black than added color over the top of it doing decorative art I like how it adds dimension...Interesting how i forgot about doing that so many things to learn or try will need another lifetime to keep up with it all Not sure how to post this with my identity but name is Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab page, Kate ! I am pleased you like your Distress Crayons... Wish I did too. lol
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your page, I have the distress crayons, used them once or twice wasn't chuffed with the outcome but your page has inspired me to give them another go, thanks for the inspiration. (Mine are in an old jar too, free the craft supplies!) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!