Monday 1 February 2016

Art journaling for a new year.


Depending on where you live in the world, January can be a dreary old month. Here in the north of England it has been grey, wet, blustery, stormy, and so, so dark. But daylight hours are beginning to increase little-by-little so there is hope on the horizon. The lack of light really gets to me every year and can me feel quite gloomy :-(

So, to counteract that, at my latest art journaling class with the fabulous regulars (at Art from the Heart, UK) I decided that we would focus on more positive things and think about growth and new beginnings. Each time in this regular class I try and do something new; no point going to a class each month and doing the same old, same old. You don't have to *like* all the new things that you try but the idea is that you might learn something that you can add to your regular style. This time we tried building up a background with lots of random layers (you can see some stamping showing through my top painted layers) to add a little history to the page. And from there we let the page grow organically, starting in one corner and taking it from there. We added doodled flowers and lot of scribbly writing.

Initially we worked on a tag (not so scary!) and added it to a page 'cos it just looks so nice with all that white space!











Roll on spring!







16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the color. The idea of doing the tag, adding it to the page and then adding elements to the page is delightful. I really like the way they complement each other. The full page that goes along is wonderful too - I see a series here. So glad to have come across your work this morning - brightens up my day already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Glad to have brightened your day :-)

      Delete
  2. the colors are so beautiful merry! I love this color combo. A beautiful sunshine on this gloomy day - also in Germany no sun shining at the moment. I would love to also do a workshop with you. Unfortunately I live too far away ... .Are the colors in the journaling only Decoart Media fluid acrylic?
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonja, These colours are Talens Amsterdam Standard range, with a bit of added Portfolio oil pastel.

      Delete
  3. These are fabulous Kate, I just love everything you do

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so remember those dark days, which seemed never ending. Good days to sit inside with a warm fire and a cuppa. Happy to not to have to go out again for the day. It's a good thing to find our own picker uppers... Greetz from New Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so remember those dark and gloomy seemingly never ending days. The right days to sit inside near a warm fire with a cuppa. With paints and papers.... It's good to know one's own picker uppers I say. A good feeling to drop down on the couch with the idea that all is done, and nothing "has to". Enjoy the winter fire. We had a lovely blue sky yesterday, but right now, no mountains in sight anymore, a thick cloud carpet and snow! My fire is roaring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so understand your feeling regarding these dark month. It is also a problem for me too ( and thousand others ) Thanks for showing such a happy work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely in love with this one Kate. There is just something special about it - it's speaks hope and bright beginnings. MARVELOUS creating.... definitely seems like art from the heart! j.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful colourful design.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the colors. And what a great idea to work your way up from tag to tag on page to page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although it may be cold and gloomy where you live, to me your tag is warm and bright and perfect for our summer weather (although not the afternoon storms we've been having lately). Today is brilliant sunshine and around 29C - greetings from Sydney :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun to read that you like lots of white space...would be fun to see you work in CAS-style too? Beautiful tag! Have a colourfull week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a colorful fun tag Kate! love how you incorporated into a journal page - I just love your style and techniques. I am taking the Wanderlust classes and I just posted my 'Garden Journal' - I just love it! you can see it here on my blog: http://www.createwithjulia.blogspot.com/2016/02/wonderlust-kate-crane-journal-book.html thanks for the great class! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Love this tag!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!