Wednesday 18 November 2015

A class with Seth Apter

Image by Itkupilli

At the weekend I was lucky enough  to take a class with Seth Apter of The Altered Page at Art from the Heart (Harrogate, UK).It was just so great to be a student and to learn some new techniques. Seth is a great teacher, full of inspirational ideas, and the whole day went just at the right pace.

We took a deck of ordinary playing cards and added black gesso as a base. Immediately the black gesso gives everything a different and slightly dark and grungy look. We added what felt like about 100 layers of acrylic paint (ok, ok, I'm exaggerating) and did lots of mono-printing, stencilling, stamping, and then added a bit more paint. Eventually we added some collage elements, although I still have a LOT to do.


I spent the day with all of these lovely people:


And here's me with Seth. I'm really, really hoping Seth will come back to teach in the UK again - I would definitely go to another class. And if you get a chance to take a class with Seth then do!







11 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I've been following him for awhile now, but missed that he was coming to the UK. I'm so looking forward to your class during Wanderlust. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you Kate, I'd love to take a class with Seth and you too! Haha! Beautiful creations here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seth is a great teacher and such a nice guy- love your cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh after looking at this I'm going to get the playing cards out !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looked like fun and those playing cards certainly took on a whole new different look. :) I am actually new to Seth but have enjoyed his blog and his "work". Thanks for sharing your day.
    Victoria, BC
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to do this particular class. Another mixed media teacher in the US also did this class with him and she showed some of her cards on her blog and they were wonderful. It made me really want to do the class, but unfortunately since I live in Australia probably nil chance of that! I hope you show us some of your completed cards, I bet they're amazing. I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome and it looks like so much fun!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your art looks wonderful Kate! I went to the Friday and Saturday classes, wish I could have done this one too. Seth is a great teacher, just like you! ;-)
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looks a brilliant weekend Kate. My friend Bernice was there, I would loved to have been part of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took a class with Seth this past July, and he discussed the playing card workshop! Your cards are absolutely gorgeous! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!