Thursday 28 July 2011

All sorts!

Smile by Daniel Torrente for Stampotique
Carol's Flower large and small by Janet Klein for Stampotique
Inks and paints by Dylusions

It's the Stampotique Designers Challenge time again! This time Kaz has challenged us to create something using sizzling colours of red, yellow and orange. Here's what Kaz has to say:

"When I took this  week for my challenge back in the winter, I thought it would be lovely and summery so I decided to set a colour challenge using the sizzling colours of red, yellow and orange. I should have known better really as I do, after all, live in England. It's been positively Autumnal this month. Rain, wind and grey skies. Yuk. So I'd like you to help us entice the sunshine back to help warm my cold toes!!"

Although I started out as a 'neat' cardmaker, I rarely make cards these days so I decided to challenge myself a bit further and make a card. I 'smooshed' red and yellow inks on a craft mat and dragged my card through. The colours mixed in places to give me the colour orange too.



All the details of the challenge can be found on the Stampotique Designers Challenge blog. As its the second challenge of the month, it's Stampotique only stamps, and don't forget there's a $30 gift certificate up for one lucky winner!


Yesterday I spent the day with the wonderful Kirsty Wiseman learning how to use my digital SLR camera. I have had my camera for ages but have only ever used it in auto mode *shame on me* but after spending a day with Kirsty I can now shoot IN MANUAL! Yay! I wasn't exactly a natural behind the lens (LOL!) but I'm getting better,  and I'm going to practise loads this summer. Here's a few shots from the day.

An unusual view of a bench:

 The gorgeous Kirsty, with the face of a 16 year old:


Kirsty took this one of me doing my best 'catalogue' pose:


Here's Kirsty again. Check out the railings!


I learned how to take a low down shot like this by balancing the camera on my foot:


Kirsty took me to some of the nicest places ... here we were standing on a motorway bridge!! Here I was learning how to do this:


And freeze frame like this:


Kirsty has the most adorable little sausage of a dog named Eddie. I tried to get a good shot of them together but you know what they say ... never work with animals! Here is Eddie mid-yawn:


But here he is looking gorgeous. Ahhhhhh!


I had such a great day and learned absolutely loads *thanks Kirsty*.  If you want to get to grips with your SLR then I highly recommend it.

Now, talking of taking great photos ...... if you have a spare moment have a look at  Cat's blog because she takes some amazing photos. I taught an art journaling class at Art from the Heart last weekend and we had a blast, but as usual I didn't get chance to take any photos. Cat took great photos of the day and blogged them here. She has a way of really capturing the essence of a day.

And finally, look what's happening in September. Woop woop!


This promises to be a great weekend with loads happening, you can read all about it here. There will be taster workshops from Dyan, Sandy Poppins, Susie Flintoff, Kirtsy Wiseman, and me! It's on the same weekend as the Great Northern Papercraft Extravaganza, and as Art From The Heart is literally just around the corner, if you are in the area you could do both things in one day!!

Right, that's me done. I really must go and get dressed, can't spend the whole day in PJs! Byeeee

31 comments:

  1. Charming & adorable tag. Love the stitching and I really like the clear embossed hatch design. I need one of those. I also think the flower balloon is wonerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm an "often" neat card maker too and (since snagging your two art journaling DVD's) just getting in touch with my inner journaler!! Loving your photos too especially the delightful Eddie mid yawn! Great shot

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing all your fabby piccys .... LOVE your card ... the colours are fabulous, love the little music detail all the texture and your fabulous stitching detail!! amazing work, hugs Juls

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may not make cards very often, Kate, but this is stunning. Those colours are amazing anyway but you've just managed to do everything so perfectly, even though it's far from perfect - if that makes sense, lol. Love your photographic adventures, too - there's so much to learn with cameras....... thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now why can't you spend the whole day in pj's??? hahaha! Love your card...you should make yourself do more! Awe I love the pic of Eddie yawning...looks like he is laughing doesn't he? Lucky you getting a lesson like that xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy this day, even if you do spend it in jammies! I love your card and it's background, Kate. I really do need to learn how to use my camera....

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh kate..i just love stopping by here. your photos are amazing. you are so talented! i would love to be able to take the workshop...if only i lived closer. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous post Kate. You are learning from the best learning from Kirsty she is one talented lass!

    Glad you had a wonderful day..xx Great pics can't wait to see more ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, love the way the colours have worked out. Your photography skills are coming along, I still use my on auto mode, so I'm very impressed that you've learnt how to use it 'manually' so to speak xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. the photo session looks wonderful, hope you learned lots about your SLR. Great card, love the background and the embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your card, Kate! Fabulous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dead jealous. And for future reference, pjs in the day, during the holidays are THE law!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful day you seemed to had Kate! Way to go... Now we want to see more pics made by you, next to your journaling pages. Love jammie days. It should be a rule that one day a week should be PJ contemporary day!
    Thanks for the blurb about my blog, highly appreciated!
    Glad you had a good day shooting! Love the doggie shot...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous!I just love Smile and he looks great on here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kate, I love ♥♥♥ your card, one of my favourite stamps and my very favourite colours :-) Great photos, both Kirsty and yourself are very talented ladies...I may just be able to get over to enjoy the Birthday weekend :-) See you soon. S xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow super and what a smashing day you had :)
    Von x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your tag and the photos are fab too !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your colorful card, really wonderful. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooooh Kate, I'm not jealous that you got one to one tuition with Kirsty - honest I'm not :) The photo's you took look great! a bit off the wall kinda style :)
    Your card is gorgeously inky too. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing your photography Kate....I really have to learn to use mine, so thanks for the motivation. Your photos are great!
    Love your challenge piece...enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the card - colours and stitching work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great shots! It looks like you had lots of fun learning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to see what you create with your SLR, you will be great at it. How wonderful to have a friend who can show you how to use it. Now practice practice practice!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great photies, and such a cute little dog! Your card looks great,very you; if I had to pick colours to describe you it would be these warm ones. For once I must be living in the good part of the UK as it's been lovely and sunny here, just one slightly grey day.
    And according to aa routeplanner, we're staying 30miles from you in sunny Cornwall! So you never know, we could possibly manage a get together!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Orange, yellow and red... I could use something with those warm colours too. Yep, I live in the Netherlands (near England, Ha!) and we have the same weather - I'm sick and tired from it by now! I wish you a sunny weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Im so jel of you, Id love to learn to photograph better (cool english huh!), loving the hot colors too...x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super great post! Love those colors especially since I got YOUR DVDs!!! Super fab girlie! Loving all the great photos! I am horrible with a camera haha I think the coupon I sent you expired? Holla at me and we will get you set up with a new one! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your card - beautiful zingy colours! And your photos of Eddie the dog are soo cute. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your card, especially all the texture on it and your photos are gorgeous. Who'd have thought a motorway could look so lovely!! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fab piece again! The background is perfect and I love how you used the flower stamp

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Kathryn. I just love this little guy and when I did a search for inspiration for him, your blog came up. I pinned it here :
    http://pinterest.com/pin/12173861463859098/
    and it is linked to your blog, but if that's not ok, then please let me know and I will take it down. In this crazy world of everybody pinning .... I just like to make sure it's ok.
    Love all your projects!
    Melisa
    http://MelisaWaldorf.com
    luv_2_stamp@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!